The world is rapidly going hi-tech in almost every aspect of life. Young people need to be able to think critically and solve problems, both at school, at home, and at work. They need to be creative and innovative in their approach to learning and life.
ICT, therefore, provides all the tools for young people to make a big impact globally once they are guided properly. Through the ICT club, this can be done sustainably. We are grateful to UCC/UCUSAF for funding this idea. Students need to be able to communicate well in all forms, co-operate with others and also work independently. They need to be able to use functional mathematics and ICT effectively.
The specific objectives as articulated by UCC include:
- Ensuring School ICT Labs are sustainable by equipping students with skills that enable them to operate the labs in line with best practices and be able to maintain the ICT equipment in their Labs.
- Empowering students to increase their ownership and thus responsibility for the ICT Labs.
- Equipping students with practical ICT skills above and beyond the expectations of their ICT curriculum and giving them more ICT exposure.
- Providing a platform for students to directly engage with UCC/UCUSAF on ICT matters in their schools and developing the capacity for self-monitoring
- Nurturing ICT innovations and ICT skills at Secondary School that will be annually recognized by UCC/UCUSAF.